Exercise Science B.S.K. (Emphasis in Fitness and Wellness Management)
Degree Requirements: 124 Credit Hours
See Core Curriculum for required courses in area A1 through Area E.
|General Requirements (Core A - E) 1||42|
|Area F - Courses Appropriate to Major 2, 3||18|
|Human Anatomy and Physiology I Laboratory|
|Human Anatomy and Physiology II Laboratory|
|Human Anatomy and Physiology I|
|Human Anatomy and Physiology II|
|Introductory Physics I|
|Introduction to Exercise Science|
|Research Methods in Kinesiology|
|Foundations of Exercise and Sport Psychology|
|Motor Control, Coordination, and Skill|
|Physiological Aspects of Exercise|
|Biomechanical Analysis of Movement|
|Administrative Principles in Kinesiology|
|Fitness Evaluation and Exercise Prescription|
|Emphasis in Fitness and Wellness Management||32|
|The emphasis in Fitness and Wellness Management prepares students for Personal Trainer, Group Fitness Instructor, and Wellness Coach/Health Coach certifications. Students will learn to prescribe fitness for both individuals and groups in multiple platforms, to develop and provide exercise programming for facilities and individuals as well as fitness testing and behavior modification counseling within the commercial and corporate fitness industries. Certifications include ACSM-CPT, ACE-Group Fitness Instructor, NSHC-Certified Health Coach, ACSM-EPC, and ACSM/NPAS Physical Activity in Public Health Specialist.|
|Survey of Accounting|
|Principles of Personal Training|
|Health and Fitness Entrepreneurship|
|Worksite Wellness and Safety|
|Nutrition and Health|
|Motor Learning and Development|
|Internship in Exercise Science|
|Select up to 6 hours of the following:|
|Indep Study In Health Science (Health/Fitness Sales and Marketing)|
|Sport Conditioning Laboratory|
|Selected Topics in Kinesiology (Principles of Group Fitness Instruction)|
|Selected Topics in Kinesiology (Adapted Physical Activity I)|
|Selected Topics in Kinesiology (Adapted Physical Activity II)|
|Total Credit Hours||124|
Program Admission Criteria
- Admission to Georgia Southern University
- A total institution GPA of 2.0 or better on all course work attempted (transfer course work and work completed at Georgia Southern University are considered)
- Completed a minimum of 30 credit hours
- A minimum grade of “C” in all Area D and F course work attempted
Honors Program Progression Requirements
To graduate with Honors in Exercise Science, a student must:
- be admitted to the University Honors Program
- successfully complete and present an Honors Thesis or Capstone Project
- be in good standing in the University Honors Program at the time of graduation
Program Progression Criteria
- Students must earn a minimum grade of “C” in all courses in Area F and within the major requirements, including guided major electives.
- Students must also earn a minimum grade of “C” in a prerequisite course prior to registering for an advanced course.
- If a student receives a grade of “D” or “F” in a course listed in Area F and/or within the major requirements, including guided major electives, the student can repeat said course no more than 2 times.
- Students must show proof of CPR/AED certification prior to completing KINS 3452.
- To be eligible for internship, students must have a total institution GPA of 2.0 or better, and completed all core curriculum and major degree requirements, earning a grade of “C” in all courses in Area F and within the major requirements, including courses taken within the tracks. Students registering for less than 12 hours of internship can take other coursework, but the coursework must be approved by the program coordinator.
- Internships must be approved by the internship coordinator.
Note: Exercise Science Majors must complete Fundamentals to include:
|CHEM 1211K||Principles of Chemistry I||4|
|CHEM 1212K||Principles of Chemistry II||4|
|PSYC 1101||Introduction to Psychology||3|
Students not able to complete Fundamentals in Areas A2, D, and F will take these courses as part of their selected emphasis area.