Exercise Science B.S.K. (Emphasis in Allied Health and Graduate School)
Degree Requirements: 124 Credit Hours
See Core Curriculum for required courses in Area A1 through Area E.
|General Requirements (Core A - E) 1||42|
|Area F - Courses Appropriate to Major 2, 3||18|
|Human Anatomy and Physiology I Laboratory|
|Human Anatomy and Physiology II Laboratory|
|Human Anatomy and Physiology I|
|Human Anatomy and Physiology II|
|College Trigonometry 1|
|Introductory Physics I|
|Introduction to Exercise Science|
|Research Methods in Kinesiology|
|Foundations of Exercise and Sport Psychology|
|Motor Control, Coordination, and Skill|
|Physiological Aspects of Exercise|
|Biomechanical Analysis of Movement|
|Administrative Principles in Kinesiology|
|Fitness Evaluation and Exercise Prescription|
|Allied Health and Graduate School Emphasis||32|
|The Allied Health and Graduate School Track will prepare students to apply for graduate programs in Physical Therapy, Occupational Therapy, Athletic Training, Physician's Assistant, Medical School, or Kinesiology. At least a 3.0 GPA or higher is required to stay in this emphasis area.|
|Select from the following courses, depending upon graduate school requirements, to add up to 32 hours.|
|Principles of Biology I|
|Principles of Biology I Laboratory|
|Principles of Biology II|
|Principles of Biology Laboratory II|
|Organic Chemistry I|
|Total Credit Hours||124|
If CHEM 1211 and 1212 are not taken in the core, it must be taken as part of a chosen track.
Students may elect to substitute Pre-Calculus (MATH 1113) or Calculus I (MATH 1441) for MATH 1112 with advisor approval
Students may elect to substitute Principles of Physics I (PHYS 2211) for PHYS 1111 with advisor approval. Students in the Allied Health and Graduate School Track may elect to substitute Principles of Physics II (PHYS 2211) for PHYS 1112 with advisor approval.
Hours are variable based on the minor chosen to give room for other prerequisite courses in that minor
Program and Emphasis Area Admission Criteria
- Admission to Georgia Southern University
- A total institution GPA of 2.0 or better on all course work attempted (transfer course work and work completed at Georgia Southern University are considered)
- Completed a minimum of 30 credit hours
- A minimum grade of “C” in all Area D and F course work attempted
To graduate with Honors in Exercise Science, a student must:
- be admitted to the University Honors Program
- successfully complete and present an Honors Thesis or Capstone Project
- be in good standing in the University Honors Program at the time of graduation
Program Progression Criteria
- Students must earn a minimum grade of “C” in all courses in Area F and within the major requirements, including guided major electives to progress in the Exercise Science major.
- Students must also earn a minimum grade of “C” in a prerequisite course prior to registering for an advanced course.
- If a student receives a grade of “D” or “F” in a course listed in Area F and/or within the major requirements, including guided major electives, the student can repeat said course no more than 2 times.
- Once in this emphasis area, student must maintain a 3.0 GPA in all major courses and guided major electives.
- Students must show proof of CPR/AED certification prior to completing KINS 3452.
Note: Exercise Science Majors must complete Fundamentals to include:
|CHEM 1211K||Principles of Chemistry I||4|
|CHEM 1212K||Principles of Chemistry II||4|
|PSYC 1101||Introduction to Psychology||3|
Students not able to complete Fundamentals in Areas A2, D, and F will take these courses as part of their selected emphasis area.
For questions regarding specific undergraduate program requirements, please contact the Waters College of Health Professions Student Success Center.