Degree Requirements: 36 Credit Hours
(Collaborative Degree with Valdosta State University and Columbus State University)
Certificate Upgrade Information: This program adds the new field of Curriculum and Instruction to a Professional certificate. This is an advanced professional program which can only be added to a level four or higher renewable Professional certificate in any field. The educator can apply and be admitted to the program with an Induction certificate; however, in order to add the new field and receive a certificate upgrade, the candidate must hold a level four or higher renewable Professional certificate.
The educator who is in possession of a level four or higher renewable Professional certificate will qualify for a level 5 Georgia certificate upgrade with a new Field program upon successful completion of all program requirements, achieving a passing score on the required GACE Content Assessments for Curriculum and Instruction, and applying for and successfully adding Curriculum and Instruction to the educator’s GaPSC certificate.
This program is approved by the Georgia Professional Standards Commission as a program leading to certification in Curriculum and Instruction. Completing the program will prepare candidates for certification, but candidates should consult with program faculty, the College of Education Graduate Academic Services Center, or the Georgia Professional Standards commission regarding current certification rules upon entering the program.
- Complete requirements for a bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution.
- Possess a valid, level four or higher Induction, Professional, Advanced Professional, or Lead Professional teaching certificate, leadership certificate, service field certificate, or Life certificate.
- Present a 2.75 or higher GPA on all undergraduate and graduate work combined.
Applicants may be approved for provisional admission based on the quality of the admission material presented. Provisional students must earn grades of “B” or higher in their first nine (9) credits of course work after admission and meet any other stipulations outlined by the department to be converted to regular status. Candidates with a GPA below 2.6 will not be considered for admission.
Professional Education Core: 9 Credit Hours
Content-Specific Requirement: 12 Credit Hours
Candidates must complete the Content-Specific Requirements in their area of certification/content field.
Specific Program Requirements: 6 Credit Hours
Approved Electives: 9 Credit Hours
Select 9 credit hours of Approved Electives
Total Credit Hours: 36
1 Taught by Columbus State University
2 Taught by Valdosta State University
3 Taught by Georgia Southern University
4 Candidates must complete the Content-Specific Requirements in their area of certification/content field.
Culminating Project: Electronic Portfolio
Program Exit Experience
- Successful completion of electronic portfolio.
- Successful completion of each key assessment identified at each program transition point.
Other Program Requirements
- The candidate’s progress will be evaluated after the first 9 credits of course work, including the GPA and performance on the key assessments embedded in the courses, including dispositions.
- Maintain an active account with the COE electronic data management system.
- Claim Georgia Southern University as your program provider in your MyPSC Account during your first term of enrollment.
Graduate students are advised by their program. Graduate students should reach out to their graduate program director for information regarding the structures in place to facilitate advisement. For more information visit Graduate Academic Advisement .
Graduate students can also contact the Jack N. Averitt College of Graduate Studies for more information about their program director.
Phone: 912-478-COGS (2647)