Jan 30, 2023
Degree Requirements: 124 Credit Hours
See Core Curriculum for required courses in Area A1 through Area E.
General Requirements (Core Areas A - E) Credit Hours: 42
Additional Requirements Credit Hours: 4
Area F - Courses Appropriate to Major Credit Hours: 18
Select 6 Credit Hours from the Following:
Child and Family Development Core Credit Hours: 27-30
Family Services Concentration Credit Hours: 24
Select Nine Credit Hours from the Following Guided Electives:
1 (See footnote below)
Select One Foreign Language Requirement or “Significant International Content” Course Credit Hours: 3
Elective Credit Hours: 3-6
Total Credit Hours: 124
1 Students may select 12 credit hours of approved PBAD Guided Major Electives or complete minor course work. The MPA-ABM courses substitute for courses in the minor program as follows: PBAD 7130 for PBAD 4232 , PBAD 7230 for PBAD 3431 , PBAD 7530 for PBAD 4235 , and PBAD 7631 for PBAD 2231 .
Program Admission Criteria
- Admission to Georgia Southern University
- A total institution GPA of 2.0 or better on all course work attempted (transfer course work and work completed at Georgia Southern University are considered). All transfer credits must be evaluated by the Undergraduate Office of Admissions and posted on the Georgia Southern transcript upon official acceptance to the University.
- Completed a minimum of 30 credit hours
- A minimum grade of “C” in all Area F course work attempted
- Satisfactory completion of a Department of Early Care and Learning comprehensive criminal background check and finger printing prior to taking HDFS 3131 .
Program Progression Requirements
- Students must earn a minimum grade of “C” in all courses in Area F, the Human and Family Development Core, the selected concentration area, and guided major electives.
- Students must also earn a minimum grade of “C” in a prerequisite course prior to registering for an advanced course.
- Students must have a total institutional GPA of 2.5 or better, and completed all core curriculum and major degree requirements,earning a grade of “C” in all courses in Area F and within the major requirements, including within their concentration prior tointerning. Students who do not meet the 2.5 GPA requirements will complete nine to twelve (9-12) credit hours of approved course work as substitute for the internship.
Honors in Human and Family Development
To graduate with Honors in Human and Family Development, a student must
- be admitted to the Honors College;
- successfully complete at least three credits of HONS 4610 Honors Research Seminar over three semesters;
- successfully complete and present an Honors Thesis or Capstone Project;
- be in good standing in the Honors College at the time of graduation.
Accelerated Bachelors to Masters (MPA-ABM) with Human and Family Development B.S. - Family Services Concentration
Degree Requirements: 39 Credit Hours
The MPA-ABM with Human and Family Development B.S. - Family Services Concentration is designed to allow students to enter the Master of Public Administration (MPA) degree program after completing 75 credit hours. Students admitted into the MPA-ABM program may take up to 12 graduate credit hours within the undergraduate Child and Family Development degree program that will count toward the MPA. There must be a minimum of 150 unique credit hours between the two programs.
Students may be accepted into the MPA-ABM program if all of the criteria are met:
- Student must have earned a minimum of 75 credit hours and have completed an application for admission to the MPA-ABM program.
- Student must be a declared major in the Human and Family Development B.S., with an emphasis in Family Services.
- Student must have a minimum GPA of 3.25.
- Student must meet all of the other criteria for Regular Admission into the MPA program. Provisional Admission will not be allowed.
Program of Study
Students in the MPA-ABM should take the following courses, preferably beginning with six credit hours during the spring semester of their junior year. A total of nine credit hours will fall within the “Guided Major Electives” block of the Human and Family Development degree program. Additionally, students will utilize either a free elective slot or elect to complete a nine (instead of 12) credit hour internship to account for the remaining three graduate credit hours. Students should work with their academic advisor to determine the most appropriate pathway.
Total Credit Hours: 124
Students may select 12 credit hours of approved PBAD Guided Major Electives or complete minor course work. Students may declare a Minor in Public Administration and fulfill the minor requirements by completing an additional PBAD/NMLI course in the minor program. The MPA-ABM courses substitute for courses in the minor program as follows: PBAD 7130 for PBAD 4232 , PBAD 7230 for PBAD 3431 , PBAD 7530 for PBAD 4235 , and PBAD 7631 for PBAD 2231 .
Undergraduate Academic Advisement at Georgia Southern is provided to all degree-seeking undergraduate students by professional advisors. Academic Advisors are located on all three Georgia Southern University campuses. Students are required to meet with their assigned Academic Advisor at least once a semester. For more information visit the Academic Advisement catalog page.