Total Credit Hours: 124
1 While CHEM 1211K Principles of Chemistry I / CHEM 1212K Principles of Chemistry II are 4 credit hours, only 3 credit hours will be counted toward Area F. The remaining credit hour of each will be applied toward Major Specific Requirements.
2 May not include BCHM 3200 Principles of Biochemistry
Program Admission Criteria
- Students who wish to change their major to Biochemistry must have a total institution GPA of 2.0 or better in all coursework completed at Georgia Southern.
- Transfer students from other institutions who wish to major in Biochemistry must have a GPA of 2.0 or better on all credit hours attempted at other institutions as well as those hours attempted at Georgia Southern. All transfer credits must be evaluated by the Undergraduate Office of Admissions and posted on the Georgia Southern transcript upon official acceptance to the University.
Other Program Requirements
- Biochemistry majors must maintain a “C” average in all major coursework which applies toward graduation.
Honors in Biochemistry
To graduate with Honors in Biochemistry, a student must:
- be admitted to the Honors College
- complete a capstone project equivalent to three credit hours with a measurable outcome approved by the Department of Chemistry & Biochemistry
- maintain a 3.3 overall GPA, including a minimum GPA of 3.5 in all major courses applied toward graduation.
This degree is certified by the American Chemical Society (ACS) and students have the opportunity to have their degree dually certified by passing the American Society for Biochemistry and Molecular Biology (ASBMB) certification exam.
Undergraduate Academic Advisement at Georgia Southern is provided to all degree-seeking undergraduate students by professional advisors. Academic Advisors are located on all three Georgia Southern University campuses. Students are required to meet with their assigned Academic Advisor at least once a semester. For more information visit Academic Advisement .