Total Credit Hours: 120
1 Environmental Biology is not an option.
2 Following admission to the nursing major, students have the opportunity to challenge by examination a total of 23 hours of course credit.
Admission Criteria to the School of Nursing Advanced Placement Track (APT) for LPN/LVN to BSN.
The School of Nursing offers an innovative program, the Advanced Placement Track, whereby the Licensed Practical Nurse (LPN) is eligible to earn college credit for educational advancement. The faculty recognizes that Licensed Practical Nurses have knowledge and skills which support the opportunity for advanced placement.
Eligibility for advanced placement is based on academic transcripts, licensure verification, basic nursing skills verification, and achieve a score of at least 75% on the HESI Admission Assessment (A2) Exam. Students have the opportunity to challenge by examination a total of 23 25 hours of nursing course credit.
The LPN accepted to Georgia Southern University’s School of Nursing are seen by the LPN Advisor for a description of the APT program, consultation, and curriculum planning. Advisement is critical for the LPN to best be prepared to apply for admission to the Baccalaureate Nursing Program (BSN) when core curriculum requirements have been met.
Admission to the BSN program is competitive. The LPN seeking advanced placement must meet the same admission requirements as others. The following is a guide for the LPN planning to earn a BSN at Georgia Southern University. See the School of Nursing website for more detailed information.
After admission to Georgia Southern University, the student will make an appointment with the LPN Advisor. The student will need to bring any previous higher education transcripts to the advisement appointment.
- The LPN’s transcript will be evaluated and must meet the following requirements to be eligible for admission to the BSN program:
- Complete 54 semester hours of core curriculum with grades of “C” or better in areas A, D, and F.
- All applicants must achieve a cumulative score of at least 75% on the HESI Admission Assessment (A2) Exam in the following areas: Anatomy and Physiology, Grammar, Reading Comprehension, Vocabulary and Knowledge, and Math. Further information is available in the School of Nursing or on our website. An overall GPA of 2.7 in all prerequisite courses.
- The student will have the opportunity to challenge up to 4 nursing courses (Skills & Essentials of Nursing Practice, Adult Health Nursing I, Mental Health Nursing, Women’s and Children’s Nursing) for a total of 23 25 credit hours. Upon acceptance into the nursing program, the student must meet with the LPN Program Director to review challenge options. Students must meet all of the legal requirements for licensure. See Baccalaureate Degree Nursing section in the Georgia Southern University Catalog: Georgia Board of Nursing Legal Requirements.
- Be aware that science course credits in Core Area F may not have been earned longer than 5 years before the time of admission.
- A grade of C or higher is required for areas A, D, and F courses. Repeating any course in areas A, D, and F in order to achieve a passing grade of at least a C, reduces the student’s chance for admission to the School of Nursing. Repeating more than one course in each (area A, D, and F) to earn a passing grade of at least C makes the student ineligible for admission to nursing.
Undergraduate Academic Advisement at Georgia Southern is provided to all degree-seeking undergraduate students by professional advisors. Academic Advisors are located on all three Georgia Southern University campuses. Students are required to meet with their assigned Academic Advisor at least once a semester. For more information visit the Academic Advisement catalog page.