Total Credit Hours: 124
Program Admission Criteria
See B.S.Ed. Teacher Education Admission Requirements
- Must be admitted into the Teacher Education Program and qualify for a Georgia Preservice Certificate
Other Program Requirements
- Must meet all requirements for retention in the Teacher Education Program and qualify for a Georgia Preservice Certificate
- Must earn a minimum grade of “C” in all courses in Area F of the Core, the teaching field, and professional education; earn an adjusted GPA of 2.75 or higher in the teaching field, and maintain an overall cumulative GPA of 2.50 or higher
- Must earn a grade of “B” or higher in KINS 4432 Adapted Physical Education
- Must successfully complete all field experiences
- Must take courses in proper sequence
- Must meet requirements for admission to Student Teaching (See catalog section, Admission to Student Teaching)
- Must successfully complete assessments identified at each program transition point
Honors in Health and Physical Education
To graduate with Honors in Health and Physical Education, a student must:
- be admitted to the Honors College;
- successfully complete at least four credit hours of COED 3610 Honors Research Seminar Education over four semesters;
- successfully complete and present an Honors Thesis or Capstone Project;
- be in good standing in the Honors College at the time of graduation.
Accelerated Bachelors to Masters (ABM) Kinesiology M.S. (Concentration in Physical Education)
Degree Requirements: 36 Credit Hours
In accordance with SACSCOC requirements, 120 unique credit hours are required in a Bachelors degree program, and at least 30 unique credit hours are required for a Masters degree program. The Kinesiology M.S. (Concentration in Physical Education) ABM program combines 124 hours from the Health and Physical Education B.S.Ed. (Certification Track) program and 36 hours from the Kinesiology M.S. (Concentration in Physical Education) program, exceeding the required 150 unique hours between undergraduate and graduate degree programs by 10 hours. The Jack N. Averitt College of Graduate Studies Handbook for Program Directors and Graduate Advisors permits a maximum of 9 shared credit hours between the undergraduate and graduate degree programs. Therefore, Kinesiology M.S. (Concentration in Physical Education) ABM students may share a maximum of 9 credit hours of graduate level courses in satisfying the requirements of both degree programs. The graduate courses will include ITEC 5233G Foundations of Technology-Enabled Learning , KINS 7437 Analysis of Teaching Physical Education and KINS 7590 Action Research in Physical Education .
For regular admission to the Accelerated Bachelor’s to Kinesiology M.S. (Concentration in Physical Education) ABM degree program, the applicant must have:
- Enrollment as a current Georgia Southern undergraduate student majoring in Health and Physical Education B.S.Ed. (Certification Track).
- Between 75 and 95 (inclusive) credit hours completed in the undergraduate program; including the courses HLTH 3431 , KINS 3432 , KINS 3433 , KINS 3436 , and KINS 4440 , each with a grade of C or better.
- A 3.0 (4.0 scale) GPA or higher in undergraduate coursework.
- A 3.0 (4.0 scale) GPA in Health and Physical Education B.S.Ed. (Certification Track) undergraduate coursework.
- Must complete an application to the Kinesiology M.S. (Concentration in Physical Education) program.
ABM programs do not allow provisional admission. ABM programs are designed for students who have demonstrated a high level of undergraduate academic performance that validates their ability to be successful graduate students.
Undergraduate Academic Advisement at Georgia Southern is provided to all degree-seeking undergraduate students by professional advisors. Academic Advisors are located on all three Georgia Southern University campuses. Students are required to meet with their assigned Academic Advisor at least once a semester. For more information visit the Academic Advisement catalog page.