Dec 10, 2023
Degree Requirements: 36 Credit Hours
Completion of all program requirements leads to an M.Ed. as approved by Georgia Southern University’s, Educational Leadership Tier 1 certification, and a Teacher Leader Endorsement as approved by the Georgia Professional Standards Commission (GaPSC).
- Complete requirements for a Bachelor’s degree from a regionallyaccredited institution.
- Possess a Georgia Professional Level Four Certificate or higher in a teacher,service, or leadership field.
- Present a cumulative 2.75 (4.0 scale) grade point average or higher onall undergraduate and graduate work combined.
- Submit a personal statement of purpose, not to exceed 200 words,that identifies the applicant’s reasons for pursuing graduate study andhow admission into the program relates to the applicant’s professionalaspirations.
- Acknowledge Disclosure and Affirmation questions within theapplication that address misconduct disclosure, the Code of Ethics forEducators, and tort liability insurance.
- Submit The Principal’s Assurance Form.
- Submit a current resume or CV that highlights the personal and professional achievements of the applicant. Candidate must beemployed in a P-12 school setting in order to complete required fieldexperience hours.
- Submit a passing score on the state-required Georgia Educator Ethicsfor Educational Leadership Assessment.
Applicants may be approved for provisional admission based on thequality of the admission material presented. Provisional students mustearn grades of “B” or higher in their first nine (9) credits of course workafter admission and meet any other stipulations outlined by the departmentto be converted to regular status.
Leadership Professional Core Requirements Credit Hours: 21
Teacher Leadership Endorsement Core Requirements Credit Hours: 9
Professional Education Core Requirements Credit Hours: 6
Total Credit Hours: 36
Other Program Requirements
- Candidate’s local Unit of Administration (LUA) is required to have entered into an agreement with Georgia Southern University that outlines the agreements related to Tier I Leadership preparation. Said agreement must state that the LUA and school agree to allow candidates to complete 250 hours of clinical practice (Supervised Field Experience) and to provide supporting documents, as well as access to opportunities to lead and participate in leadership functions as appropriate for completion of leadership performances. Additional requirements are listed below; additionally, candidates must comply with any rule changes and/or additions instituted by the GaPSC affecting Educational Leadership certification.
- Passing scores on the Georgia Assessments for the Certification of Educators® (GACE®) Educational Leadership assessment.
- All candidates must pass the Georgia Ethics for Educational Leadership Assessment prior to completion (if not completed for program admission).
- Upon admission, candidates must claim Georgia Southern University as their provider. Candidates must log into their MyPSC account and claim Georgia Southern University as their provider.
**It is important to note that admission to and completion of Tier 1 does not ensure employment in a leadership position. Under state law, completion of an approved Tier 1 program will not lead to additional pay until employed by a Local Unit of Administration (LUA) in a leadership position that requires Tier 1 certification. **
Graduate students are advised by their program. Graduate students should reach out to their graduate program director for information regarding the structures in place to facilitate advisement. For more information visit Graduate Academic Advisement .
Graduate students can also contact the Jack N. Averitt College of Graduate Studies for more information about their program director.
Phone: 912-478-COGS (2647)