Dec 10, 2023
Degree Requirements: 60 Credit Hours
The Counselor Education program prepares counselors to work in school and clinical settings. There are two degree program concentrations basedon educational background and career goals, and both concentrations are accredited by CACREP:
School Counseling - This concentration is designed for people who wish towork as school counselors. The concentration is designed for graduates tomeet the requirements for school counseling certification in Georgia.
Clinical Mental Health Counseling - This concentration is designed for people who wish to work as clinical mental health counselors in community agency settings (public, private, or non-profit).
Note: Admission to the graduate program is required. Non-degree status to achieve initial certification is not permitted.
- Complete requirements for a bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited institution.
- Present a cumulative 2.50 (4.0 scale) grade point average or higher onall undergraduate and graduate work combined.
- Submit a personal statement of purpose, not to exceed 1000 words, that identifies the applicant’s reasons for pursuing graduate study and how admission into the program relates to the applicant’s professional goals and aspirations.
- Submit a current resume.
- Submit two letters of recommendation.
- Submit a completed “Disclosure and Affirmation Form” that addresses misconduct disclosure, criminal background check, the Code of Ethicsfor Educators, and tort liability insurance.
- Participate in an on-campus interview.
Consideration for provisional admission available for Concentration Two, Clinical Mental Health Counseling, only. Applicants may be approved for provisional admission based on the quality of the admission material presented. Provisional students must earn grades of B or higher in their first nine (9) credits of course work after admission and meet any other stipulations outlined by the department to be converted to regular status.
Acquiring School Counseling Certification for People who Already Hold a Master’s Degree
- People who hold a master’s degree in an area other than School Counseling may qualify for the School Counselor Level Five Certificate by completing the 60 credit M.Ed. in Counselor Education, School Counseling Concentration One. Up to three courses from a previousmaster’s program may be applied toward degree requirements.
Areas of Concentration
Students May complete Counselor Education, M.Ed. with the following areas of focus:
1. All candidates for Concentration One, School Counseling, must take SPED 6130 or equivalent unless they have already earned prior credit for the course as approved by their advisor, in which case they may instead take COUN 7233 . SPED 6130 is an additional state special education requirement for certified employees for the purposes of certification.
Other Program Requirements
- For all concentrations, successful completion of assessmentsidentified at each program transition point and successful completion of a Professional Portfolio Examination.
- Maintain an active account with the COE electronic data management system.
- For Concentration One, claim Georgia Southern University as your program provider in your MyPSC Account during your first term of enrollment.
Graduate students are advised by their program. Graduate students should reach out to their graduate program director for information regarding the structures in place to facilitate advisement. For more information visit the Graduate Academic Advisement .
Graduate students can also contact the Jack N. Averitt College of Graduate Studies for more information about their program director.
Phone: 912-478-COGS (2647)