Total Credit Hours: 124
1 While CHEM 1211K / CHEM 1212K are 4 credit hours, only 3 credit hours will count toward Area F. The remaining credit hour of each will be applied toward Major Specific Requirements.
2 A maximum of 4 cr hrs of CHEM 4900 Chemical Research Experience and/or CHEM 4790 Chemistry Internship and only 1 cr hr of CHEM 3700 Teaching Internship in Chemistry , may be counted toward the upper-level chemistry coursework.
Program Admission Criteria
- Students who wish to change their major to Chemistry must have a total institution GPA of 2.0 or better in all coursework completed at Georgia Southern.
- Transfer students from other institutions who wish to major in Chemistry must have a GPA of 2.0 or better on all credit hours attempted at other institutions as well as those hours attempted at Georgia Southern.
- All transfer credits must be evaluated by the Undergraduate Office of Admissions and posted on the Georgia Southern transcript upon official acceptance to the University.
Other Program Requirements
- Chemistry majors must maintain a “C” average in all major coursework which applies toward graduation.
Honors in Chemistry
To graduate with Honors in Chemistry, a student must:
- be admitted to the Honors College
- complete a capstone project equivalent to three credit hours with a measurable outcome approved by the Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry
- maintain a 3.3 overall GPA, including a minimum GPA of 3.5 in all major courses applied toward graduation
This degree is certified by the American Chemical Society (ACS).
Undergraduate Academic Advisement at Georgia Southern is provided to all degree-seeking undergraduate students by professional advisors. Academic Advisors are located on all three Georgia Southern University campuses. Students are required to meet with their assigned Academic Advisor at least once a semester. For more information visit Academic Advisement .