Total Credit Hours: 43
1 Students completing Honors in Mechanical Engineering are strongly encouraged to select honors courses such as ENGR 1121 , ENGR 1133 , ENGR 1731 , ENGR 2112 , ENGR 2231 , ENGR 3233 , ENGR 3431 , MATH 1441 , Calculus II (MATH 2242 ), Principles of Physics I (PHYS 2211K ), and Principles of Physics II (PHYS 2212K ).
2 For students entering the Honors College as a freshman and seeking to complete the Departmental Honors in Mechanical Engineering, it is highly recommended that these freshmen complete MATH 1441 .
Accelerated Bachelor’s to Master’s (ABM) Degree
This 4+1 Accelerated Bachelor’s to Master’s Degree Program is intended for current undergraduate students in the Department of Mechanical Engineering at Georgia Southern University. It will produce a pathway to potentially earn both a Bachelor’s and a Master’s Degree within five years.
Students accepted into the accelerated program will be allowed to take up to 9 credits at the 5000G level and within the degree program while in their senior year that will count toward the MSME. There must be at least 150 unique hours between the two programs. All additional degree requirements for both the B.S. degree and the M.S. degree are required to be met.
For regular admission to the Accelerated Bachelor’s to Master’s Degree of Science in Mechanical Engineering (ABM-MSME) degree program, the applicant must:
- Be enrolled in the undergraduate mechanical engineering program (B.S.M.E) in the Department of Mechanical Engineering at Georgia Southern University.
- Have completed no less than 25 and no more than 50 credits of ENGR and MENG course.
- Must have a 3.0 or better Georgia Southern Institutional GPA.
A student may be granted provisional admission based upon the recommendation of the Master of Science in Mechanical Engineering Graduate Coordinator or Department Chair.
Degree Requirements: (Thesis and Non- Thesis)
- A student in the ABM program will be allowed to use up to 9 credits MENG 5000G level courses offered within the Mechanical Engineering program in meeting the requirements of both a bachelor’s degree and a master’s degree.
- The 9 credit hours that will be applied to both the bachelor’s and master’s degrees include: MENG 5811G , MENG 5822G , and two MENG 5000G level courses approved by each student’s research advisor and the Chair of the Mechanical Engineering Department.
- Maintain a cumulative graduate GPA of 3.0 (grade of “B” or better) in their graduate degree course work (including the 9 credits of graduate course work shared with the undergraduate degree)
- Meet all requirements for both the B.S.M.E. and M.S.M.E. degrees.
Undergraduate Academic Advisement at Georgia Southern is provided to all degree-seeking undergraduate students by professional advisors. Academic Advisors are located on all three Georgia Southern University campuses. Students are required to meet with their assigned Academic Advisor at least once a semester. For more information visit Academic Advisement .