Degree Requirements: 36 Credit Hours
The Sport Management Program at Georgia Southern University is an intensive two year, six semester course of study that prepares students to hold a wide range of careers in the sport industry. The general focus of the program is the management of sporting events, ranging from professional sport to youth sport. Entry level jobs in the industry include: game day operations, ticket sales, event management, facility staff, youth sports administration, marketing and promotions assistant, and a host of other options. Graduates of the Georgia Southern Sport Management program can be found working for professional sport teams, college athletic departments, regional and national sport commissions, leagues and associations and many other sport based organizations.
The Faculty of Sport Management will evaluate applicants on each of the following:
- Provide a writing sample in the form of a Personal Statement. The Personal Statement should include an in-depth explanation of why you are pursuing this degree, why you are a good candidate for admission, how your experiences and knowledge can contribute to the online learning environment, what your career goals are over the next five years, and what has prepared you to succeed in the Sport Management graduate program at Georgia Southern. You are expected to address each of these topics. The Personal Statement needs to be a minimum of one page double-spaced but no more than two pages.
- Provide transcripts showing the completion of a Bachelor’s degree in a college or university accredited by the proper regional accrediting association. If applicant holds additional degrees or classes from accredited institutions, those transcripts must be submitted as well. The committee will review previous coursework that relates to the curriculum in the Master’s in Sport Management program.
- A minimum undergraduate GPA of 2.5 is required to be considered for admission into the program. An undergraduate GPA between 2.5 and 2.99 may result in admission with provisional status. Obtaining a GPA of 3.0 on a master’s degree or at least 12 graduate credits may be assessed on the basis of master’s-level degree work.
- Resume will be used to review the quality of work experience and length of related professional experiences/internships.
- Applicants should prepare a professional one-to-two minute video addressing the question “How will this degree impact your career path?”
*International transcripts must be evaluated by a NACES accredited evaluation service
** Applications are only reviewed for the March and July deadlines by the Sport Management Committee
The Graduate Admissions Committee will judge the merit of each item and make a recommendation based on the sum total of the application.
Priority Application Deadline: Students interested in Teaching or Research Assistantships must apply by March 1 to receive considerations for open positions.
Application Deadline: All application materials must be received by July 1 to be considered for admission into the fall cohort.
Admission Cycle: The program follows a cohort model. Students accepted into the program will be admitted during the fall semester.
For additional information regarding admission to the program, including average GPA and test score information, please visit our website.
Program of Study
The Georgia Southern Sport Management program requires 36 credits for completion. Students are expected to enroll in six consecutive semesters to complete the program in two years. To earn their degree, students must complete 24 core credits and 12 credits from guided electives, nine (9) of which must be from the Sport Management program.